audition

Being in the acting industry is a huge challenge. While it is true that it can be really rewarding and alluring, the statistics are quite discouraging. It appears that roughly 92 percent of the people pursuing a career in acting don’t get a chance, whereas the remaining 8 percent have regular jobs. However, challenges can be surpassed with the right skills, preparation, and determination – which brings us to today’s topic, namely how to maximize the likelihood of getting a winning audition?

Analyze the Audition Notice

When you arrive at an audition, you should be more than ready to perform. You should be able to masterfully present the requested material. In this direction, you should carefully examine the audition notice. What is expected of you? Should you have a monologue prepared? Essentially, the material you present should match the specifications of the audition.

Rehearse Beforehand

As we’ve already pointed, most auditions entail the preparation of a material. The ideal scenario is getting the script before the audition. Still, it might be handed to you at the audition venue. If that happens, you should aim at memorizing at least some of the lines before facing the panel.

On the flipside, though, if you do get the script beforehand, this would give you plenty of time for rehearsing. For example, you might consider rehearsing in front of the mirror, to get the confidence you need to present the role as you should. Essentially, you are supposed to do a lot more than simply read some lines. You are expected to act on them like a pro – this is the key to ensuring you get a successful audition.

The director should be able to see a significant difference between you and the character you’re representing. The character should come to life as you present the part.

Be Flexible

Flexibility is an important trait, especially for actors. That is to say, you should always be flexible when it comes to the audition material. For instance, you might be asked to interpret the role differently, or in various ways; you might have to play a distinct personality.

While you might do an excellent job of performing a long monologue with real tears in your eyes, you should be ready to do the exact same monologue in a whimsical, calm voice, as well. Flexibility is a highly regarded quality in the realm of acting, so make sure you own it.

Embrace a Professional Approach

While it is true that, for some actors, unemployment is a lifestyle, having a professional approach can significantly increase your chances of succeeding. For example, you should always try to arrive at least fifteen minutes before the start of the audition. At the same time, you should remain courteous and polite without being overly talkative.

On a different note, there are casting directors that expect resumes and headshots. Hence, you might consider bringing them with you to your auditions. Also, the headshot should look like you; so steer clear of cheesy poses.

As a rule of thumb, though, you should convey every audition for a job interview. Remain modest, yet confident, and avoid any speeches that aim at persuading the director that you are the best person for the part.

To conclude, every audition comes with its share of difficulties you ought to surpass. Regardless of the experience, you gain as time passes by, the process doesn’t get any easier. And while there are some unparalleled rewards that come with the territory, this doesn’t eliminate the existence of challenges. We hope that you’ve found our advice useful!